Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Getting Started in Music Therapy


Repost from July 26, 2014

A bit over a year ago, I decided that I needed to get a job that was more in line with my interests in music. While searching for a new job I discovered the field of Music Therapy. Even though it has been around for millennia as an idea and practice, and a recognized profession since the 1940’s, I had not heard of it until finding the job listing. I was immediately intrigued and began researching what music therapy was and how to get into the field. I read books on music therapy and it’s practice and found the American Music Therapy Association’s (AMTA) website, www.musictherapy.org, which is full of information for aspiring music therapists as well as professional music therapists. Finding that I needed more education and board certification I used the AMTA’s list of accredited schools to begin researching schools, cost, and timelines. Finding out how expensive graduate school is made me put off applying for a while, but eventually I decided if I didn’t do it now I would never do it.

After narrowing the school list down to five by the programs I liked, then down to three by the interests of the professors at each school and how well they matched my interests, I came up with a list of schools to apply to. Throughout the application process I also had the privilege of working with a former professor from my under graduate program. He was kind enough to write letters of recommendation, give me advice on the application process, advice on the audition process, and encouragement that I was capable and the type of student that schools would want. Having the support of a professor in a related field, especially one that you respect and trust, is a very valuable asset.

The application process was what I expected; demographic information, writing samples, past education, resume, etc. The part that I felt unsure about was the audition and interview process. My main instrument is the cello and most of the musical work I have done since graduating from my undergraduate has been on the cello and not involving much anything other than playing. This meant that my piano, theory, and ear training skills were somewhat dulled from disuse. I also had no guitar skills before deciding on my new career path. To prepare for the auditions, I picked out a bunch of songs that I might like to play and sing and listened to them anytime I could. This included while working, driving, working out, literally anytime that I didn’t need to interact with other people. Then I bought a book on guitar for music therapists and music teachers to start teaching myself the guitar. I also had a book that had been my parents as they were both music teachers in the past. After choosing a few songs and figuring out their chord structures I began practicing those songs on guitar and piano. During this time I was also continuing to practice cello especially a few unaccompanied pieces to play at the auditions. Finally I looked over my notes from my undergraduate courses that might be needed during the auditions/interviews.

My preparation paid off as I was accepted into all of the programs that I applied for.

This is a somewhat concise account about the beginnings of my journey into music therapy. Soon I will write a post about the actual auditions and interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment