Monday, July 11, 2016

MUTC 101 Song 1


Song One. Creating this song was interesting. I have tried writing my own songs in Garage Band before, but I get bogged down going through all the loops, trying to figure out the structure of the song, and how to make it interesting. Having such a short amount of time to create this forced me to pick one of the loop themes and use only a few of the loops from it.

I enjoy creating things in Garage Band and if I had more time could spend hours doing it. I did not enjoy being limited to certain loops, although I understand why we were limited.

Garage Band is very intuitive to me and provides enough editing tools that I can do just about anything with the loops and other songs that I have a desire to do. Although, I am sure once we work with Logic my mind may change. I would love to work with more diverse loops or to create my own loops to use in songs. I would also like to have more time to work out the aesthetics of the song so that it meets my standards instead of being what I had time to work through in class.

Do I consider this kind of music making to be “real” musicianship? For the most part, I would say yes. If someone is taking time and creating an aesthetically pleasing combination of loops then I think it is musicianship. On the other hand if someone drops a whole bunch of loops into tracks without considering how they fit together I would not call that musicianship. Randomization has it’s place, but, in my opinion, there has to be some degree of cohesiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment