Monday, July 11, 2016

MUTC 101 MIDI




Whether or not I like MIDI is a bit of a complicated question for me. I don’t like what I’ve been able to do with it in class. I have an idea of what I want to do, but actually getting the loops to turn out and line up as I envision is difficult. I’m not familiar enough, nor have enough time in the tech studio to become familiar enough with the available keyboard/sound effects. I think if I had more of my own MIDI enabled equipment (keyboard(s), pedal board, etc.) I would learn to use it better and like it. I’m especially interested in the MIDI pedal board. With it you can record loops and connect them to a specific pedal and then turn the loop on and of during a live performance or recording session. You can also delete the loop and record something else while in session. The work Zoe Keating does with her board is amazing.

I also need to do more research on MIDI pre-recorded songs/loops. I don’t particularly like working with full recorded songs, because I don’t want to use the whole thing, but choosing a piece of it to use becomes overwhelming for me. I also might like it better if I incorporate using the the notation software to create some of the loops I’d like to have.

I do believe this is valid musicianship, unless you take a full song (not created by yourself) and make very minimal alterations to it. For one thing you can create/record your own loops, or complete songs, either within notation software, by recording directly from an instrument into your editing program, or notating synthesized sounds directly into your editing program. Additionally, if you use a piece pre-recorded by someone else you often are changing it in some way to make it unique to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment